Tuesday, July 8, 2014

What, Me Worry???

The great thing about living in a "Senior Community" is the influence from all the activity available;  as if you are retired, even if you are still working like my Wife and I do.  We  thoroughly enjoy the recreational amenities in Sun City.

One of our past times is working in clay.  For me it is clay sculpture.  Currently I am working on a couple of masks for the upcoming Masked Themed Juried Show, to be held early next year.    Many are making Mardi Gras, Southwest or Azteck type of creations.  For me, I'm going in a different direction.  OK, so that is not a surprise to most of you who know me!
Kiss Me!
Kiss Me is designed as free standing bookcase art.  The face is the focal point.  The effect is a face appearing out of fabric or appearing out of a rock.  Simple and fresh.  After high firing the piece will get a patina treatment of acrylic media (paint and ink).

My second approach as something a bit different also.   This one is Alfred E. Neuman.  I have to say here that this could be one of the most unusual mask at the show.   Hopefully it will bring a smile to the faces of many, and bring back memories of their younger formative years!

Judges for the show, are primarily "potters,"  and seem to have a difficult time with higher artistic clay art, like sculpture and hand building.  From what I have seen, they tend to drift toward more traditional clay art and basic hand building techniques.  "Simple things for simple minds," I always say!

Alfred E. Neuman
What, me worry?
Alfred E. Nueman will probably sit flat on a clay base for display. 

For those who do not know Alfred E Nueman, he  is the fictitious mascot and cover boy of Mad magazine.  Since his debut in Mad, Neuman's likeness, distinguished by jug ears, a missing front tooth, and one eye lower than the other has graced the cover of all but a handful of the magazine's 500 issues.

I am contemplating having a clay strap on the piece.  As on Kiss Me, the same finish treatment will be applied after high firing.  But, "What, me worry?"  It is about the uniqueness and the fun of getting your hands dirty and digging deep in the clay.

No comments: