Monday, March 4, 2013

We are offically "Artists"

Well, art is subjective!  One man's treasure is one others piece of junk.

So, Heidi and I have been involved in clay projects for these past few months here in Arizona.  Hers has been free hand building and mosaic clay work; mine has been stoneware clay sculpture.  Just so you know, it is very therapeutic, if you have never done anything like this before.  I've always considered myself somewhat of a non-artist, as I nearly failed all the college courses I took as electives to fill the necessary quota of credit hours.  But, both of us have come out of our "artistic shell" and are creating some really neat pieces.

This past weekend we participated in a juried show (meaning the pieces were judged in various categories) and we received ribbons for 2nd and 3rd places and I thought that I would share them here on the Westboundkid with all of you.

Brinkley, is a Boston Terrier, and won a red ribbon.  He captures the character of my in-laws real dog, and is now in their living room for all visitors to be welcomed at the front door, by the real Brinkley and the sculpture.

 Heidi, won a white ribbon for her rendition of our yellow Labrador Retriever, Abby.  The piece is titled, "My Abby" and has a 3 dimensional quality to it.  The nose, ears and neck are not flat the rest of the clay mosaic.  It is truly, "one of a kind" art piece.  As Brinkley greets people at the front door of Jack & Vivian's house, My Abby will greet our visitors at our house.

I did have another piece submitted in the Novice Sculpture category and that was a bust of Abby.  It is a good likeness, but in retrospect, I should have entered in mixed media or some other section.  My Bad!
She too is now in a corner of our living room, guarding her territory.


All-in-all, it was a very nice weekend and we enjoyed being a part of it. 

No comments: