Wednesday, May 25, 2011

New Technology

So, I think that I have entered the new age of technology.  Well, for me, anyway, it seems new and exciting.  I am now able to video chat with my friends and family.  OK, I know, nothing new to you, right?  Well for me, it is a miracle.  I can now communicate as if we are together in the same room.  Talk, laugh, see what is new with each other and even have a drink together, as if there were no miles between us. 

Now this doesn't take the place of a good 'ole handshake and a hug, but from my perspective, this is as close to being there as you can get today.  Maybe the next thing will be a virtual computer room where we can program, say, dinner out with whoever, have a great time together with a few laughs! 

I had my first video chat the other day was with my buddy Doug.  He is one of my best friends since 7th grade.  I was getting ready to go to work, he was at home for lunch (a 3 hour time zone difference).  Got caught up on the lastest in my former hometown and what was going on in his life.   Clear as a bell, none of that time delay or shakey video from my past.  A high definition experience, almost like being there!

Then there was my chat with my nephew, who is half a world apart in Russia, teaching at a Christian Resource Center in Siebera.  ...NO, he gave up a perfectly great job at the University of Michigan to do this, believe it or not!  ...Anyway, we spoke for a good half hour.  He was getting ready for the day, I was getting ready to go to sleep the night before the day he was already in.  Does that make sense?  In other words, he lives 11 hours in the future!  Technology...and they say a time machine is just for science fiction!

I say let's video chat...who knows what it might bring?  I'm really hoping it brings my kids, grandchildren, more friends and mayby even my 88 year old Dad.  He is getting to know the computer thing, too.  I'm hoping he doesn't view video chat as some kind of complicated science fiction?

No comments: